Kettle Corn and October go hand in hand. Sweet, hot popcorn while watching a scary movie is the perfect fall evening!
Kettle Corn can be a little intimidating to make on your own, and let’s face it, it can be dangerous! Sugar get’s hot lol. Store bought microwavable popcorn is so full of chemicals, we try to stay away from it as often as possible. As a chemist, I analyze pretty much every label I come across and popcorn can be concerning when it comes to ingredients.
This make your own kettle is the best solution! It is so easy and cheap to make, plus you can do it in the microwave, so it is stress free and ready in minutes!
Popcorn is literally my favorite food, as I mentioned here. I could eat all kinds for every meal and be fine. I always keep healthy popcorn on hand for a snack! Cinnamon Caramel Kettle Corn is my new favorite popcorn to have for movie night. The fun thing about this recipe is you can definitely make it your own. If you like it more sweet, add more sugar. If you prefer butter flavor, add melted butter. It is that versatile!
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown)
- 1tsp regular sugar
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- dash cinnamon
- 1 tsp pink sea salt (or regular)
- Use regular sugar instead, eliminating all coconut sugar or brown. You can also eliminate the cinnamon.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients until combined. Add to a brown paper bag, then fold top a few times.
- Microwave about 2 minutes, or until popping stops. Don't let it go too long, it will burn!
- This is HOT, so wait a few minutes before opening bag.
My chemist tip is to make sure you don’t over cook it. With coconut sugar, it is easy for the caramelization to burn the popcorn, so it is better to make sure you under cook it. Having unpopped kernels is totally normal!
Don’t forget to sign up for the monthly newsletter!