This post may contain affiliate links. These help support this website.
This is the best DIY all natural peppermint sugar scrub recipe! Not only is it super easy and can be done in less than 20 minutes, but it is also a really beautiful homemade gift for friends.
Sugar scrubs are a really affordable skin care option that feel luxurious and special.
I love whipping up different ones to use at home all the time. Using peppermint essence really makes this particular one perfect for Christmas.
Another thing that makes this the best DIY all natural peppermint sugar scrub is it doesn’t contain food coloring! The pinkish color comes from cranberries! I am surprised how many recipes on the internet contain food coloring for the pink color in scrubs which is a really bad idea for the skin. The chemicals in food coloring can cause rashes, breakouts, and can dye your skin too!
Pin This to save This Peppermint Sugar Scrub Recipe
- 3 cups organic sugar, divided into 2 cups and 1 cup
- 1/4 organic coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
- 1 cup of fresh cranberries, cooked and pureed (see notes)
- 15-20 Drops Peppermint Essence (can use peppermint essential oil, essence is cheaper)
- Clear jars
- Add the 2 cups of organic sugar into a large bowl. Put the 1 cup of organic sugar into a smaller bowl.
- Add the 1 tbsp of baking soda to the 2 cups of organic sugar. Stir until combined.
- Next, add in 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil to the 2 cups of organic sugar and baking soda. Mix this up, making sure to incorporate all the oil to the sugar. It may seem like there isn’t enough oil, but stir a bit longer. The texture will be fluffy like snow.
- To this same mixture, go ahead and add in your peppermint essence. I add about 20 drops, you can use a little more or a little less depending on how strong you want the scent.
- For the cranberry puree, add the 1 cup of fresh cranberries to a bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds to burst the cranberries. Stir and smash up until it is pureed and pink in color. You can also add this to a blender and puree it. I also like to run it through a fine mesh strainer to get rid of skin.
- Add the cranberry puree to the 1 cup of organic sugar. It should also turn into a snowy like texture, not too wet. If needed, add a little more sugar if your cranberry puree was too wet.
- Layer this mixture in a a clear jar so it looks pretty!
Tips on Storing: It is best to make this a day or two before giving as gifts. If you make it ahead of time, store it in the refrigerator, than allow to come to room temperature before giving or using. This lasts weeks at room temperature. When there is just a little left in the jar, it may get hard. Just warm the jar up in hot water (like the bath tub) and it will be fine!
Chemist Tips for this DIY All Natural Peppermint Sugar Scrub
Cranberries are the perfect natural option for reddish to pink food coloring. If you want a deeper red, cook the cranberries for a longer time and add more. You can even puree some on the stove top until it keeps darker in color. I prefer a pink color, so just a few seconds in the microwave is perfect.
You can definitely eliminate the pink or red color all together, just add another 1/8 cup of melted coconut oil and mix that up with the full amount of sugar.
Natural Peppermint Sugar Scrub Benefits
So, why is this stuff so good anyways?
Chemically, sugar scrubs are a great exfoliant without being to harsh on the skin. Peppermint has so many benefits aromatically and topically. It is such a soothing scent! Adding in coconut oil allows this to be really moisturizing for your skin naturally. And lastly, baking soda is a brightener, exfoliates, and anti fungal/anti bacterial.
So, peppermint sugar scrub uses can range from:
- removing dead skin
- soothing achy joints or muscles
- skin brightening
- Anti bacterial
So many great things!