Summer is here which means bbq’s and block parties are right around the corner. With the warm weather urging everyone to get together now is the perfect time to make sure your house is ready for guests. Forget about spring cleaning; it’s time for a summer spruce up.
Work Your Way In
Your yard and home exterior are the first things guests will see when they arrive (unless you plan on entertaining exclusively after sunset to avoid landscaping) so it’s important to make sure you start your work here.
- Mow your lawn. No one likes to go trekking through waist-high grass just to visit the neighbors.
- Clean your shutters and siding. This step is especially important if you live in an area that experiences heavy pollination. Less yellow dust covering everything means less sneezing and happier guests.
- Brighten up your yard or front door area with some low maintenance plants that are sure to impress.
- Realizing that it may be time to freshen up your front door is a key factor in making sure your home is in the best shape this summer. A beautiful front door not only makes a good first impression but can actually save you some money on your electric bill. If your door is old and cracked or has gaps, it’s time to replace your front door.
- Make sure your outdoor furniture is in good shape and that there’s enough for everyone. In a pinch a few folding chairs will suffice, just make sure you have some stashed away in case of unexpected plus ones.
Change It Up
You might be amazed at the difference that changing out your decor can make. If you’re not invested in a new wall color there’s still plenty of ways to drastically change the appearance of a room.
- Swap out your throw pillows and decorative blankets. Now that the weather is warm you can put those heavy blankets away, break out something a little lighter.
- Rugs and wall pieces can make a big statement so use them to shift the mood of your rooms into summer.
- Change the color scheme to give your spaces a light and airy feel. Not feeling inspired about colors? The Pantone 2016 Summer palette is a great place to start!
Go Back to Basics
When in doubt there’s never any harm in going back to basics. Sticking to what you know can help you strike the perfect balance of chic and comfort.
- Florals aren’t just for spring. Flower inspired designs are always a welcome sight during warm weather months.
- Fresh flowers and plants make great decorations. Grab some of whatever you’ve got growing in your garden and stick it in a vase. Natural touches can really make a room feel inviting.
- Summer is all about relaxing so add whatever touches you feel bring serenity to a room. Relaxation is different for everyone so bringing your personal touches to the concept will make a space that feels right for you.
There’s no rules against sharing ideas for summer decor. Feel free to borrow trends you see that strike your fancy. You can always take an idea and put your own personal spin on it to make it perfect for your home.
- If you visit a neighbor with excellent decor be sure to ask them where they got it from (after you compliment them on their good taste).
- Use tv shows, movies and magazines for inspiration.
Be True to Yourself
In the end it doesn’t matter if something is trendy or not. If you feel comfortable and you’re happy then the look is right for you. Stay true to your roots and always put part of yourself into your decor. Personalization is what makes a house a home.
- Family portraits are a great way to add a personal touch to your home and show off your lovely family all at the same time.
- DIY art is perfect for adding some color to a space without breaking the bank.
No matter how you decide to decorate this summer it’s important to remember that gatherings are about the people, not about the things. Don’t get so caught up in being fancy and trendy that you miss out on the fun. Most people will just be glad to be in your company, even if that rug is so last season.
About the Author:
Kacey Mya Bradley is a lifestyle blogger for “The Drifter Collective.” Throughout her life, she has found excitement in the world around her. Kacey graduated with a degree in Communications while working for a lifestyle magazine. She has been able to fully embrace herself with the knowledge of nature, the power of exploring other locations, cultures, and styles, while communicating these endeavors through her passion for writing and expression. Her love for the world around her is portrayed through her visually pleasing, culturally embracing and inspiring posts.
The Drifter Collective: An eclectic lifestyle blog that expresses various forms of style through the influence of culture and the world around us.
P.s – if you are interested in guest posting on Chemistry Cachet or would like to sponsor the blog, please visit the sponsor page!