I have tried dozens of caramel recipes over the years, some have been total flops, while others have been made over and over.
Caramelization is a complete chemical process! It can go bad fast, so when baking with friends or family, I like to keep it simple and sweet. It was my mission this season to make a DAIRY free caramel sauce for my husband. He loves eating caramel apples, but he cannot have any kind of dairy. Most caramel calls for butter and/or cream. So what did I use instead? Honey! And it made the most beautiful, glistening caramel sauce! Honey Caramel apples have quickly become one of our favorites!
All you really need to make caramel is a sugar source, and for these I used honey.
My mom and I also made the fun, regular caramel apples with the traditional Kraft Caramel candy. Those are always a good choice!
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- 5-6 apples, any kind!
- Wash and thoroughly dry apples, then prepare a wax paper surface.
- In a saucepan, add honey, oil, and coconut milk. While whisking, cook over medium high heat. Mixture will boil and bubble for TEN minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in salt and vanilla.
- Allow mixture to sit for at least 15 minutes, it will thicken as it sits.
- Roll apples into mixture. Spoon additional caramel on the apples.
- Chemist Tip: Whisk continually so caramel mixture doesn't boil over while cooking!
- Add vanilla extract when it is removed from heat!
- This mixture is not as thick as traditional caramel, but will get almost as thick upon standing.
See how pretty it looks too! I couldn’t get over how shiny it was!
Here is how our regular ones turned out. They are always delicious too! These are so simple, just add a bag of caramel candy, a few tablespoons of water, then melt in microwave for a few minutes!
Are you a fan of caramel apples this time of year? We love them!
Don’t forget to sign up for the monthly newsletter! I feature special recipes, behind the scenes and fun information in general! The next one comes out in November!